- Watchkeeper: Egypt’s new treasure
Somewhat eclipsed by the spectacular developments in the Isthmus of Panama and even the publicity surrounding transits on the Northern Sea Route, the “new” Suez Canal has opened to shipping.
- IMO - Selected circulars issued July 2015
The International Maritime Organisation (IMO) has issued circulars on Maritime Safety, Marine Environment Protection,
Standards of Training, Certification and Watchkeeping for Seafarers and Safety of Navigation.
- Suez Canal Authority Circular 5/2015 - New Suez Canal
- IMO Ballast Water Management - BWM.2 Circular 56 Designation of areas for ballast water exchange in the North Sea
IMO Circular - Oslo and Paris Commision (OSPAR) in 2014 endorsed the decision to designate ballast water exchange areas in the North Sea. These ballast water exchange areas are for intra North Sea traffic only and should be seen as a temporary regulation. It terminates when ships shall meet regulation D-2 of the International Convention for the Control and Management of Ships Ballast Water and Sediments (the BWM Convention).
- Watchkeeper: Wreck removal – not an option!
Observers at the Hook of Holland have seen some strange sights recently, with barge loads of large scale marine wreckage passing inbound. These are sections of a large car carrier sunk after a collision in the southern North Sea , but which, in a few weeks, will have been entirely removed by salvage contractors, who have cut up the huge wreck into manageable pieces for recycling ashore.
- USCG - Guidance for the identification and reporting of marine casualties to promote compliance
Guidance on the USCG Reportable Marine Casualties - Regulations and Interpretations as well as clarify terminology and phrases within the regulatory context.
- EMSA Sulhur Inspection Guidance
EMSA recently published a a document intended to provide guidance for a harmonised approach to the inspection of ships, ascertaining their compliance, identifying non-compliances and applying control procedures for the enforcement of Council Directive 1999/32/EC, with regards to the sulphur content of marine fuels.
- Website maintenance tonight
The website BIMCO.org and IDEA2 will be down for maintenance tonight between 21:00 - 00:00 CEST. We apologise for any inconvenience.
- Paris and Tokyo MoUs Joint Campaign on Enclosed Space Entry
The Tokyo and Paris MoU on Port State Control (PSC) have issued a joint press release advising that a joint 3-month Concentrated Inspection Campaign (CIC) on Crew Familiarization for Enclosed Space Entry will commence from 1st September 2015 and end on 30 November 2015.
- Register now for BIMCO’s Annual Conference and Awards Dinner in Hamburg on 18 November 2015
Join us in Hamburg for our dynamic, interactive conference sessions and the BIMCO Awards.